When purchasing an Android rugged tablet, it’s important to consider a range of features that ensure the device meets your needs for durability, functionality, and performance. Here are key features to look for:
- Durability Ratings: Look for tablets with high Ingress Protection (IP) ratings, like IP67, indicating resistance to dust, water, and other environmental factors. Military Standard (MIL-STD) ratings, such as MIL-STD-810G, also indicate resistance to shocks, vibrations, and temperature extremes.
- Battery Life: For extended use in the field or industrial settings, a long-lasting battery is crucial. Look for tablets with large-capacity batteries and options for replaceable or external batteries.
- Screen Quality: A rugged tablet should have a screen that is readable in various lighting conditions, including direct sunlight. Look for high-brightness displays and anti-reflective coatings. Touchscreen functionality that works with gloves or in wet conditions is also beneficial.
- Processing Power and Memory: Depending on your needs, ensure the tablet has sufficient processing power (CPU) and RAM. A good processor ensures smooth operation, especially for demanding applications.
- Storage Capacity: Consider how much internal storage you need for apps and data. Options for expandable storage via microSD cards can be valuable.
- Connectivity Options: Ensure the tablet supports various connectivity options like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, and possibly cellular networks for field use. GPS functionality is also important for navigation and location tracking.
- Rugged Design Elements: Features like reinforced corners, shock-absorbing materials, and sturdy build quality contribute to the tablet’s overall ruggedness.
- Operating System: Verify that the tablet runs a supported version of Android that meets your software and security requirements.
- Camera Quality: For tasks that involve scanning barcodes or capturing images, a high-quality camera can be essential.
- Accessories and Mounting Options: Check for available accessories like rugged cases, vehicle mounts, or hand straps that enhance usability in your specific environment.
- Price and Warranty: Finally, consider the price and ensure it fits your budget. A good warranty and customer support can be invaluable for rugged devices.
By focusing on these features, you can select a rugged Android tablet that reliably performs in challenging conditions and meets your specific requirements.